Dec 11, 2012

Over the Mountains and Through the Snow

We are excited about the arrival of grandchild number six: Jovie Juliette Farrer, Dan’s and Sarah’s third child. Jovie was born on December 2nd and we were anxious to see her. Very early on the morning of the 8th we left Idaho Falls and drove to Casper, Wyoming.


Because the weathermen were predicting a winter storm we decided to take the interstate route rather than the back roads. It started snowing and blowing south of Pocatello as the storm chased us into Wyoming. Fortunately the snow wasn’t sticking to the roads until the sun came up and we hit Interstate 80 near Green River. As we approached the town the highway was snow packed and very slick and the traffic came to a standstill. I exited the highway and drove through town on surface roads and then got back on the interstate east of town and thereby missed the traffic jam and saved at least an hour. The road conditions were poor between Green River and Rock Springs but they got progressively better the further east we drove. We were driving Nancy’s new Honda CRV and even tough it is an all-wheel drive it is light and doesn’t hold the road very well on snow and ice. We went slipping and sliding down the highway for about an hour and it made things very tense for both of us.

We left the Interstate at Rawlings. The gas was at a quarter tank so I was looking for a gas station. I skipped the few stations right by the exit because they are always more expensive. When we got into the downtown area there were no stations but I figured there had to be some as we left town—I was wrong. I had underestimated the size of Rawlings. Rather than turning around I decided to press on. Just east of town there is a sign that reads, “Casper 119 miles.” The car’s dashboard computer told me I had 118 miles of gas left. Challenge accepted!

The storm hit us again not long after we left Rawlings with high winds and snow blowing so hard that at times visibility was almost zero. It was a regular ground blizzard. Every time I drive across the high plains of Wyoming I think of the pioneers and how miserable it must have been to walk, drive a wagon, or push a handcart across that forbidding and desolate land. I ponder on that struggle, say a prayer of thanks, and turn up the heat.

As I was fighting the wind I was watching the gas gage dip towards empty and decided I really should have filled up in Rawlings. We came to a wide spot in the road with the picturesque name of Muddy Gap and there was a gas station so pulled in. We ended up paying a dollar more per gallon than we would have if I had gone back into Rawlings. But at least we had enough gas to get to Casper without having to worry about running out in the middle of nowhere.

We arrived in Casper without further incident and drove to Sarah’s parents’ house. By an odd twist of irony Sarah’s father’s name is Clark Jensen. I’m not sure if it is easier or more confusing for their kids to have both grandfathers named Clark. Wyatt and Bella greeted us with wonderful enthusiasm and we could tell they missed us. Jovie was awake and looking around in wide-eyed wonder. I’m sure every grandparent thinks their grandchildren are beautiful but there is something extra striking about Jovie. Perhaps it’s the newness of life fresh from heaven.


We played with the kids and visited with Dan and Sarah for a couple of hours then took the kids and Dan to the mall to shop for birthday presents for Dan and to give Sarah a break. We took Nancy and Bella back to Jensen’s then went to check into our hotel. On the way Dan showed me his new office. Dan and Clark were in the ward choir singing ‘For Unto Us’ at the church Christmas program so we all went to watch that and then we went to dinner at the Olive Garden. The food was great but it took almost an hour to get served. It wouldn’t have been a big problem except we were in a hurry to let the kids swim in the hotel pool before it closed at ten. Wyatt and Bella love to swim and Dan and I had fun playing with them.

The next day was Sunday and we had planned on going to church at 2:00 and then driving home. It took us over eight hours to get to Casper and I realized if we left that late then most of the drive would be in the dark. As bad as the roads were I was worried about driving on icy roads in the dark. So we spent the morning at the Jansen’s and then started our drive back to Idaho around noon.

Because I knew that I-80 was horrible I decided to return by a different route. Due to the mountain ranges there is no direct route from Casper to Idaho Falls. We ended up taking the South Pass route made famous by Jedediah Smith and the mountain men. The roads were snow packed up in the passes but for the most part the roads were clear and the drive was much less stressful than the day before.

As I was cruising north on Highway 191 in the middle of nowhere I passed a state trooper going south. I looked at my speedometer and I was doing about 75mph in a 65 zone. Of course he flipped around and came up behind me. He followed me for a long time as I continued to slow down waiting for him to pull me over. He took his sweet time about it and I was wondering what he was waiting for. I’m guessing he was running the license plates or something. Finally his lights came on and we pulled to the side of the road.

Long story short, he clocked me doing 74 but he was merciful and let me off with a warning. He was very nice about it and as he let me go he told me to slow down and watch the speed limits and I told him I would—and I did. And I’m glad I did because not five miles later I passed another trooper. It made we wonder if they were working together. Here is a copy of an email I sent to the Wyoming Highway Patrol’s customer service (ironic name) email box.

From: Clarke Farrer [mailto:cfarrer@grandtetoncouncil.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:49 PM
To: 'whp.customer.comments@wyo.gov'
Subject: Trooper Moller

A few days ago I had the opportunity to “meet” Trooper Moller, badge #85. I was driving too fast and he brought it to my attention.

Trooper Moller was courteous, polite, and professional in has manner and conversation. He looked sharp in his uniform and projected a confident and professional image.

My opinion of Trooper Moller, and the Wyoming Highway Patrol, was augmented by his decision to give me a warning rather than a citation. In fact, I did as he suggested and obeyed the speed limits for the remainder of my drive across your beautiful state.

I just thought you should know that Trooper Moller represented the Wyoming Highway Patrol very well. I came away from our encounter with the impression that you care more about public safety than fines from traffic violations.

Best regards,

Clarke Farrer

From Pinedale and on through the Bridger Teton National Forest the roads were snow packed again. The scenery was fantastic with snow-covered mountains kissed by alpen glow on the peaks. We got to Hoback Junction at dusk and the roads cleared and it was an easy drive past Palisades Reservoir, though Swan Valley, and back into Idaho Falls.

It was a long drive for a short visit but it was well worth it. It was great to spend time with our kids and grandkids but seeing sweet Jovie was a special treat.


No comments: